About This Course & Useful Technology
Let me get the 'nasty professor' stuff out of the way first:
I say this in each class, but I want to repeat it here: If you can't stay for the whole course, each day, the entire day, drop the course. This course is interactive, and full of multimedia we process in class. Participation is a large part of your grade. If you miss more than 20% of the course, you will not pass it. If you miss 10%, you cannot get better than a B grade. Also, please keep in mind--I can't give you the same grade as the person next to you that attended the entire class. I realize "*hit happens." People get sick. Their car dies. G-d forbid, someone dies. I will work with you under these circumstances, but keep in mind that I can only do so much. If your class in in a two or four day format, missing a day means missing 25-50% the class time.
If I know ahead of time, I will bend over backward trying to schedule the class in such a way that you are able to minimize the class time lost. I will even try to help you to attend a portion of another class I'm teaching, if that is appropriate. The sooner I know you have to miss some portion, the more I can do. If you know from the start you have to miss some portion of the class, bring it to the first class, and the entire class will work together to see if we can work around your scheduling problem. An hour here or there is usually workable.
Also, you do not have to read the assigned reading material before the class starts. This doesn't mean you don't have to read it at all. But reading it after the class, but before the verification is due is fine with me.
One book I'm assigning, you might find surprising, because it's a bit "laymen" in its orientation (pardon the pun...) Nevertheless, "Guide to Getting It On!" is a fun book, even if it is rather light on gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgendered stuff, at least located in one chapter. Instead, it is filled with practical suggestions for how to do things to people with bodies...and how to have fun doing it. It is a nice contrast to the rather 'dry' clinical reading in "Principles and Practices in Sex Therapy." And besides, you might learn something new. Maybe you already know the hand-job technique "Twisting the Cap off a Bottle of Beer" or the various delights outlined in the chapter on vulva massage. Good for you! Now you have a bibliotherapeutic resource you can pass along to clients (all 780 pages of it!) and made sure you don't forget to anything in therapy with them.
The last thing I want to say here is NO, you don't have to write your Sexual Genogram using the entire sex history form provided. The verification only asks for sections I & II. You also don't even have to write a sexual genogram, but 99% of people do. The feedback I get is that they are glad they did.
Finally, want to tell you about a piece of software that is really nifty. It is called Summarizer by Copernic and you can take a tour of what it does. Cut and paste this link, because I haven't figured out how to automate it yet.
http://www.copernic.com/en/products/summarizer/index.html
If you are feeling a little overwhelmed by the amount of information that's out there, and just how much of it is NOT what you're looking for, play around with it for 30 days (a free trial) and see if you think it's worth the $60 they charge for it.


1 Comments:
When you want to respond to anything, just fill out the section below the words "Leave your comment." You can then add your name in the body of the text, like I am here, and click Anonymous, or, if you might be interested in starting your own blog, sign up as a blogger! Then hit Login and Publish
Kathy McMahon
6:00 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home